Saturday, March 20, 2021

It's SPRING!

It's SPRING!

 

Finally Spring,  that's all I have to say...

 

Daffs are 3" high along the house foundation they'll be easy unless we get some bad weather that'll set them back.

YearSpring Equinox (Northern Hemisphere)
2021Saturday, March 20, at 5:37 A.M. EDT

Pussy-willows are out, our poplars out by the road have catkins that are already past or close to it, hay fever anyone... 

We didn't get any of the predicted 2-4" of winter this week, I'm good...

We're about to move the Deer feeder back to the field circle, (where we feed them in the warmer months.) snow's all gone out in the field, elsewhere in the yard not so much. It takes three people to move it, maybe I can get a grand to stop by to help.

We planted Pepper seeds last weekend in trays upstairs, we're all set up in the mini greenhouse Jarrod got us a couple years back, it'll help hold the heat and moisture. The greenhouse has a heat mat with thermostat, LED lights that have a built in 3-6-12 hr timer,  the seeds should be up out of the ground this week. Funny, I went up to get a couple pics to post of our setup for you, and low and behold we have seedlings already...  Rose planted Tomatoes, we'll grow two+ (10 if I have my way) kinds of heirloom Tomatoes, and she planted Broccoli, Kale too this week all of those are germinating in 10-21 days. (Hah, 3 days for us...) 

I find the seed packet germination times @ 10-21 days seems like a long time to me, if I were depending on these 10-21 days in it's a long time to find out your crop has failed...  We'll grow them out in the house and transplant them to the garden at the end of May, 1st of June when it's safe.

                       

This is our setup, don't laugh it's working.

The Broccoli is up and growing already, the LED lights are on now.

Our garden is going to expand by 30% or so this year, we'll add more panels on the right side and expand into where the path is.

                                                                       The Garden


I may add some bio-char to the garden this year, there's plenty of downed trees and more I still need to take more standing trees out.  I saw a few articles online, I liked this article from The Survival Gardener on the history, how to do it, etc.

 

Rose & Zeb,    Zeb's getting his hugs.  He likes hugs!

 

 

Stay safe out there...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fixing the yard hill & Labor day

  Fixing the yard hill: Tuesday we're got 8 yards of 3/4" crushed stone, and 18 yards of loam delivered to fix a lot of sloped are...