Sunday, January 15, 2012

Winter's cold sets in

 It was 8 degrees this morning when we woke up, and it's stall mucking day.  Stall clean up is easy when it's all frozen solid.  I tried to pull start the snow blower, it laughed heartily at my effort,  so I knocked on the kitchen door and asked Rose to send me out an extension cord for the electric start,  that did the trick after 30 seconds or so.   I used the Snow blower to clear a path to the manure pile, just didn't feel like it earlier in the week when it snowed, then we got busy, you know how it is.  The wind was blowing the ice crystals back into me face, I had to keep turning away from the blast, actually stopped the blower, went over to one of the sand barrels along the walkway and got out a pair of gloves I'd seen there earlier in the week. (Don't tell Rose I put gloves on...)

 Heading out around the back side of the workshop with the wheelbarrow full I noticed a familiar set of tracks. We got a visit from the local Red Fox last night or early this morning.  Even in this cold it's good to get out in the fields to see what's going on in the natural world.
Red Fox - 2009
 We noticed the pond is are starting to look quite a bit more solid that they have been, I'll have to go down and check out the pond to see what progress the cold has made.

  It's 7:40pm now and it's 7 degrees F. the temps are dropping off a degree an hour.  Buttoned up the barn, a little extra feed and hay all around it's gonna be a cold one.  So far the Pellet stoves are keeping up well though.  We'll have to turn on the oil furnace on to warm up the basement so we don't lose any water pipes overnight.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Fixing the yard hill & Labor day

  Fixing the yard hill: Tuesday we're got 8 yards of 3/4" crushed stone, and 18 yards of loam delivered to fix a lot of sloped are...