Monday, July 02, 2012

Hey your Redneck is showing...

Hey your Redneck is showing...  The camper move

So we purchased a used Pop up camper about a month back and it sat in the driveway ever since.  Rose thought it'd be a good idea to get the camper up by the house so she could give it the once over and clean it up before we use it the first time, and I could give the mechanical systems a once over.  I agreed as it's been a number of years (Pepperell `75 maybe...) since I popped a camper up, figuring out where all the miscellaneous parts go and got everything working.

Problem #1 No trailer hitch on any vehicle yet...  we're calling around now..

So I'd just finished mucking stalls and was driving by on the lawn tractor with the trailer and noted the height of the tongue was close to the same at the trailer.  Here is where it all went wrong.

So I backed the trailer to the tongue on the camper,  cranked up the trailer lift jack to place the trailer hitch on the bed of the lawn mower trailer.  Now I know some of you are thinking this can't possibly work...   

Then I simply chained the camper hitch to the bed of the mower trailer.  I pulled the chocks from the trailer and gave it the gas, it seemed to pull it just fine no problem so far.  I pulled around the driveway and headed up the hill onto the front lawn clearly no consideration was given to the track conditions as the lawn was still wet with dew.  

Problem #2 Halfway up the hill the wheels start spinning on the tractor and the whole parade comes to a stop mid lawn.  

Oh god,  there are cars driving by seeing this redneck parade.  Ok, so I'm stopped, What to do? hmm, then Rose blurts out "just backup" get a running start and go for it.  Now anyone (except me apparently) knows that backing up a trailer can be a tad difficult, now think about what I've got here.  Lawn Tractor, Pulling a trailer, and another camper all tied together.  I slowly inch it back the entire trailer parade starts derailing and jackknifing on me.  I hit the brakes and stop it before it goes really bad.  Once again I can't help but think there are cars driving by seeing this redneck Parade.  

Think, think, think,  ok, I spy the Honda Civic in the driveway and it's got one of those tie-down loops under the rear bumper used to tie the vehicle in transport.  I get more chain and tie a 20 foot piece from the Honda to the frame of the Lawn tractor.


Rose on the tractor, me in the Honda I give her the gas slowly and sure enough we all start heading up the hill and a few minutes later we're right where we wanted to be.  Redneck ingenuity and all not a bad morning.. Whew!  And nobody was killed in the telling of this tale either...


Whew!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Fixing the yard hill & Labor day

  Fixing the yard hill: Tuesday we're got 8 yards of 3/4" crushed stone, and 18 yards of loam delivered to fix a lot of sloped are...