Thursday, January 20, 2022

Heavy, Wet and Icy...

Heavy, Wet and Icy...

Monday MLK Day, Blowing snow, it was light and fluffy at 5ish this morning, later at 8 it was HEAVY and wet, by 9:15am it was raining, should be fun to snow-blow.  The pine boughs are hanging low to the ground.  We'll probably lose power today, (Hah, we didn't) this is supposed to keep up for a while today. By noontime the sun was out but it's evident the rain has fully saturated the snow.

Snowblower was not happy with the sludge, damned heavy, I spent some time in the driveway there was already 4"+ of water there I just gave it somewhere to go.  The chute kept clogging and at one point the clutch wouldn't work thought I'd cooked it, it came back though in short order.

I cleared the driveway, and the front yard so we can pull up, one trip down around the deer yard, I didn't dare do more there seems to be an oil leak in the Snowblower, great!  I'll check it later.

Tuesday the yard, walkways, deer-yard and driveway of course froze up so we now have an acre or so of skating rink, well my wandering story goes on. For Xmas I got some shiny new crampons! 

Yeah, those are serious cleats the stainless cleats are 1/2" long, and they go "crunch" as I drive the points into the ice as I walk on 'em,  they bite in so good. I know my wife'll cringe, but I don't worry about walking around with these on.

I got em strapped onto an old pair of sneaks and off I went, a sanding I will go, these are serious and difficult to put on so an old pair or sneaks will work and that way I can slip them on and off.  We've put out 3 big barrels of nice dry sand this year, we go through a lot usually filling the barrels at least twice.

SERIOUS ICE CLEATS!



Well they're not exactly crampons but way more than ice cleats WOW, if I fall wearing these I probably deserved it... it is an absolute necessity to have these strap on cleats here, the whole place turns into an icy wonderland several weeks a year, some years it melts quickly others it lingers for weeks. The yard drive and walkways, barn, shop, shed and deer-yard can be cleared of snow, ice well that's a horse of a different color. I sanded the walk, driveway, around the house, and over to the deer barrels where their food is. Its a lot of sand for one storm so I don't do the walk to the deer-yard usually except for that spot Rosie has taken a couple tumbles by the garden shed where it shades the walkway, that spot alternates from liquid to icy slick quickly.

The deer are still coming in anywhere between 1 and 7 at a time, we increased their rations a bit due to the number of animals coming in. 

Dad said to try the "Screaming Sicilian" pizza, so we did, we got the thin crust Pepperoni and Loaded pizzas, they were pretty good.  I went to their website and saw they had a HOT Italian Sausage and Pepperoni, that's next on the to try list.

Product Image of Hot Italian Sausage & Pepperoni

This is their regular crust pizza, a thicker crust should be good.

We just rec'd our free from the state of NH Covid test kits, I need to look at them, someone said you need to mail them back to get the results several days later.  That doesn't sound like a rapid test to me.  The ones from your gooberment are supposed to be instant or closer to instant anyway. We'll see...

I want a turn...

This doggo has the right idea... Wheee

While it warmed up nicely today Wednesday, the cold is coming right back for the weekend.  We're supposed to be around Zero degrees both Friday and Saturday this week.


Stay Safe!
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fixing the yard hill & Labor day

  Fixing the yard hill: Tuesday we're got 8 yards of 3/4" crushed stone, and 18 yards of loam delivered to fix a lot of sloped are...