Sunday, July 18, 2021

The Weekend might as wells

JULY 18th

We have the worst case of the "might as wells" this weekend.

Started off simply enough, I put together a couple of the new Laminate floor pieces so we could get a good look at it, looks good...  If this works as well as I think it will I can see more of this in my future.

Bathroom floor planks, soon...

Next I was going to put the belt that fell off back on the tractor pulleys, then ended up mowing the deer yard and a bit of what I missed on the side yard on Friday night.

One of our shrubs was way overgrown, we'll have to give a whole bunch of them a heavy trimming this fall. I grabbed the loppers and made the pathway wide enough so we can drive the tractor through, amazing how much debris you get off on shrub. Loaded the brush up in the trailer and hauled it off to the brush pile and mowed around the shrubs.

It was a hot one, that's for sure...

Went down cellar to look at the washer hookups, we replaced all the copper pipes with pex pipe last year and the two washer hot/cold washer lines are still copper.  We'd like to replace those, it can be done, but I'll have to cut the copper out with a saw though and then use SharkBites to connect the pex to the washer valves.

Sharkbite fitting
                                                Shark-bite fitting

Rose went and got the big aluminum stepladder out of the barn, there is some overhanging lilac and bittersweet vines (Some of the bittersweet vines were 3" in diameter, that stuff will grow 20+ feet in  a year) and those black cherry trees that are hanging down on the shed roof that need to be cleared.  I grabbed my hatchet, and my camp knife and jumped up onto the roof, ok, fine, I gracefully crawled up onto the roof trying real hard not to fall off, damned knees... Cut out a ton of crap that also needs to be hauled to the burn pile.

Kershaw Camp 10 Knife 1077Camp Knife

Rose picked all of the basil, she cleaned and sorted all the leaves, I loaded them into the dehydrator, nine trays worth.  I set the dehydrator for 95 degrees for 2-4 hours, never works out that way as whenever we're dehydrating anything it always works out that way with the humidity.  The smell of basil fills the air.  Two hours later I checked it and it wasn't dried yet, we'll let her go overnite. In the AM I checked it and adjusted the temp higher again to get more of the moisture out of it.

 

Basil starting to dry

Our berries (Blue, Black, and Raspberry) are starting to ripen, maybe if it ever stops raining I'll get to sample some.  That is if the birds don't get them all first.

 

 

Stay Safe out there

What did you do this weekend, anything good?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fixing the yard hill & Labor day

  Fixing the yard hill: Tuesday we're got 8 yards of 3/4" crushed stone, and 18 yards of loam delivered to fix a lot of sloped are...